Baptism & Membership Encounter Weekend (May 2006)

Friday, May 12, 2006

Adeline Fong (CG-Ken Lee, PJN1)

Confession time! I went for BMEW because I had to. Dan and I have decided that we need to move on in our involvement in DUMC, and I cannot move on because I am not a member. So BMEW is actually my first step. I made that first step out of obedience and submission. When I was filling up the form for BMEW, I thought to myself, I have gone through all these lessons before. But a few days before BMEW, I told myself that I want to go with a humbled heart and I said a little prayer to God – telling Him that I look forward to a fresh encounter with Him.

And indeed, I am so humbled! Humbled once again by the Father heart of my God, by the greatness of Jesus’ love and sacrifice for me. I received a fresh understanding of the concept of time and eternity - how because Jesus also died for all my future sins, every sin I commit now and in future, adds another wound to Him. I was so overwhelmed at the thought of how wretched I am, and how much I have hurt him.

Through this fresh understanding, I want to please Him more, I don’t want to hurt him anymore. He loves me so much, how can I not love others? How can I not forgive those who have hurt me? Once again, I am confronted with the fact that loving is a CHOICE. It is not based on how I am feeling about a person. And God showed me that I have to choose to love even when it hurts, even when I don’t feel like it, even when I would rather walk the other way.

I also realised that I have been too focused on earthly worries, so much so that I am not much of heavenly use anymore. The Lord reminded me that I have a purpose and I have a calling. I need to rediscover my purpose in life and live a life that is worthy of my calling. I want to rediscover the close and intimate relationship with Jesus once again.

No matter whether you’ve been a Christian 1 week or 10 years, do not miss this opportunity to be a CHILD again, to soak in God’s presence, to sit at
Jesus’ feet and to surrender all our earthly baggage with Him in exchange for joy & freedom! In Pr Chris’ words, you will come back feeling much lighter!! Not because DUMC starves us over the weekend (the food is great by the way), but because we are no longer carrying our baggage! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home