Baptism & Membership Encounter Weekend (May 2006)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Jason Yap (CG-Ken Lee, PJN1)

PeterCheong_JasonYap_StevenLim.JPG
The Nutcracker – Close Encounters of The Supreme Kind - By : Jason Yap

Beep…Beep…Beep…! As the sound of my trusty old radio clock blared, piercing the silence of the morning, my eyelids slowly fluttered open. Normally, I’d just thump the Snooze button and slump back into my pillow. However, as I struggled out of my ‘blur-state’, I felt a strange tingle in my tummy. Something was different that day; something somehow excited me… then it dawned upon me! Today was BMEW! 6th May… I practically leaped out of bed. I turned to see my ‘angelic’ looking wife still fast asleep and thought to myself, “Let’s give her a couple more minutes” and I scurried off to wash up. Shortly after, we were both up, had a scrumptious breakfast with 3 other CG members (Adeline, Christine and Jamie ) who were also coming for BMEW that weekend, and were on our way to Sepang for what will prove to be a life-altering experience for everyone ( for me, in particular! ).

My name is Jason Yap. I arrived at the venue of my BMEW with a strange mix of sizzling anticipation as well as subtle skepticism. I’ve heard so much about BMEW from others who have attended before, but was clueless as to what to expect during that weekend. I’m what you might refer to as a Tough Nut! As far back as I could remember, I had always been, ‘technically’ a Christian. I’ve attended Sunday School as a young lad, and have visited many churches locally and abroad (though not as regularly as I should!). However, I had never really ‘encountered’ God in the powerful and ‘earth-shattering’ way some have testified to. I never shared this feeling with anyone before, but deep down I long for that experience. Hence, I have always put up a façade in front of everyone. The façade started out as a thin film, and gradually, through the years, accumulated and formed this thick, tough shell around me. That is why you may call me a nut…a Tough Nut.

One of the things that I anticipated would happen during this weekend-long session was falling asleep through the (what I thought would be boring) sessions. But lo and behold, my eyes kept peeled open all through the sessions. Partly, I’m sure, due to the wonderfully skillful way Pastor Chris disseminated the message to us… But largely, I’m most certain, due to the power of the Holy Spirit working in me. I stayed wide awake and was genuinely ‘interested’ in what was being taught. That was the first sign to me that something had stirred in my heart. I knew that God was at work, slowly beginning to ‘crack this nut’.

Throughout the BMEW, I had, not one but TWO sharing and praying partners. God must’ve sensed that this nut may be tougher than usual. And so, just as an additional measure, God arranged it in such a way that one of them was a positive, energy-packed fella, Steven, and the other was a Cell Leader; Peter Cheong, wise, Godly and sincere… Wow, God really didn’t want this nut to slip away! God was furiously chipping away at my shell… God wanted me to meet Him. Thus, throughout the weekend, I had been truly blessed and inspired by my partners’ sharing and prayers.
As we continued with the sessions, prayed and worshipped God, I felt myself opening up more and more. What used to be pent up frustrations and years of quiet skepticism started to melt away. Even while we prayed for the Holy Spirit to fill us and bestow the wonderful gift of ‘tongue’ on us, I believe that I have truly, by faith, received it. Now, this is something, that I would never, in my wildest imaginations, thought that I could experience. Whatever doubts and niggling skepticisms I had before the BMEW, had been addressed and answered by the Holy Spirit. Now, I can’t think of any realistic reason, why anyone should not attend BMEW and experience for themselves the wonderful love and compassion that God has for us.

The most significant moment for me during the weekend was when we knelt down and prayed for forgiveness from God. No one will ever be able to fathom the manner in which Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins. Through His suffering, I am forgiven. I wrote down my sinful burdens on a piece of paper and laid it down at the feet of Jesus. At that moment, I felt an awesome feeling of both relief as well as a numbing guilt. We had learnt that every time we sin, we inflict yet another excruciatingly painful wound to the broken body of Christ. I felt guilty for all the years that I had been so ‘heartless’. I knew I had to change… How else can I begin to display my gratitude for such and Amazing Grace…..

It was said of the baby Jesus, His name shall be called Emmanuel. In the book of Isaiah 9:6, "His Name Shall Be Called Wonderful Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”. For me He can also be called ‘The Nutcracker’ for as I knelt down and laid my sins at His feet, a single tear rolled down my cheek…. This nut has cracked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home