Baptism & Membership Encounter Weekend (May 2006)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Jamie Koh (CG-Ken Lee, PJN1)

My Journey of the encounter weekend began on my way to the hotel… I saw a rainbow… and I thought to myself that something nice and wonderful would happen… well, it did!

One of the spiritual lessons I learnt was the first session that talked about The Father Heart of God. Since young, I heard about the story of the prodigal son when I was in Sunday school but I thought it was just a story telling us that God will forgives us no matter how rotten we are. But this time when I hear the story again, it was as if a totally different story to me. This simple story has another deeper meaning that talks about The Heart of The Father.

I always have the impression that God is strict and only love those who are good and obedient. During my younger days children are normally judge by how well they excel in academic and behavior. Well, I was just doing average in my studies as compared to my siblings and parents think I was somewhat rebellious than my siblings therefore I find that I was not very good. Both of my sisters were closer to each other than to me when we were younger. Basically I was like a black sheep in the family.

I have a low self-esteem of myself since I was young. I thought God also will not take notice of me and do not love me as much too. As we grow up, my relationship with my siblings got better but the doubt of God’s love is still in me. But after attending this session, I was touched and reassured of God’s love and His heart for me. During prayer, I felt I was a child again, having fun and playing in the park with God. The fact is God has always been there waiting for me just like how the father in the prodigal son story, waiting for his son to come home. Just a simple step I need to make and God will come running to me. Simple love but I complicated it.

Another highlight during BMEW is I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongue. I always wish I could speak in tongue because speaking in tongue can help to build my inner man but I just do not know how to receive it. So, during the session, I was all excited and eager to receive the gift yet at the same time I was scared and nervous because I do not know what would happen. In my mind, I was thinking what if after being prayed for and I still can’t receive… there were many "what if" questions in my mind at that time.Then I remembered pastor was telling us in the beginning that BMEW is like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, you might not have another opportunity like that again. So I stopped arguing with myself or reasoning out certain things and just receive it by faith. So pastor started praying and I prayed in my heart too to asked Holy Spirit to fill me, and then I open my mouth and say something then I feel my tongue rolling … (This is what pastor call the baby tongue which I need to practice more to sharpen it). I was overjoyed and delighted with this gift. God loves to bless His people with all gifts; all it takes is the simple faith and never let the finite human mind take-over the infinite.
After attending BMEW, I realized that God’s affirmation and acceptance is far important than human’s. I was insecure and have low self-esteem. I always think I am not good enough and like to seek affirmation from people but now I learnt to seek affirmation from God because God wants us to live up to His standard not human standard. Now, I feel more loved and secured. When my siblings attended BMEW earlier this year, I heard how they were blessed from it. I felt touched and was looking forward to it because I also want to encounter God. If you think all the latest blockbuster movies are in your ‘should- not-missed list’, I think you should put BMEW on top of all the movies in the list too! If you want a breakthrough in life and to encounter God then do not wait… register now and experience it yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home